Sometimes entanglements with legal issues can be avoided or appealed successfully just by knowing and understanding legal jargon and processes to address situations with the law in a way that produces positive outcomes. That’s is exactly why we are hosting Ask A Lawyer workshops and clinics!
Civic Engagement, Advocacy, Policy, and Legal Resource connections are components that parents with students in the Mizizi Maji Mentoring program identified as an important component to add to the work we do and the services we offer at Baxter Community Center. We have listened and responded!
In addition to our continued civic engagement work with PROACTIVE, advocacy work with GR Homes for All, hosting The Michigan Department of Civil Rights (MDCR) once a month for drop in appointments, Baxter is offering a series of Ask Lawyer Workshops with Attorney Jeffrey Portko, a Renters Clinic with Legal Aid, GR Homes for All Coalition Membership Orientations and a variety of Fair Housing trainings throughout the year!
We are scheduling all of the above mentioned on the 4th Saturday of the month in conjunction with Jubilee Jobs, an organization housed on the 3rd floor at Baxter, that offers drop in Expungement Clinics as part of their Access to Justice work with Cooley Law! Check the schedule below for dates and times for all of the 4th Saturday Ask a Lawyer and More Workshops and Clinics happening at Baxter! You can also click here for a one-page flyer with all the dates!
– Sharon LaChappelle Director of Civic Engagement and Mentoring
- Saturday September 23 – 11:30am – 12:30pm Legal Aid Renters Clinic
- Saturday September 23 – 1-2:30pm Ask a Lawyer Workshop- Advocate Law Offices: Jeffrey Portko
- Saturday October 28 – 1-2:30pm Ask a Lawyer Workshop – Advocate Law Offices: Jeffrey Portko
- Saturday February 24 1-2:30pm Ask a Lawyer Workshop – Advocate Law Offices: Jeffrey Portko
- Saturday March 24 – 1-2:30pm Ask a Lawyer Workshop – Advocate Law Offices: Jeffrey Portko
- Saturday March 24, 2:30-3:30pm Fair Housing Workshop “What the Fair Housing Laws Protect”
- Saturday April 28 -1-2:30pm Ask a Lawyer Workshop – Advocate Law Offices: Jeffrey Portko
- Saturday April 28 – 2:30pm – 5:00pm Fair Housing “Tester Training” – Become a volunteer tester and receive a stipend for your volunteer work.
- Saturday June 23 1-2:30pm Ask a Lawyer – Advocate Law Offices: Jeffrey Portko
- Jubilee Jobs (3rd floor at Baxter) Walk-in Expungement Clinics every 4th Saturday 11-3pm